Dienstag, 12. Oktober 2010

Russian Post, Reparing Windows and Sergiev Pasod


You need a lot of patience in Russia. Patience and a lot of time. I had to experience that last Thursday. And although I thought that I’m a patient person, the Russian Post definately did proof me wrong. Sometimes one of the volunteers at the Holocaust Center has to go to the post office to pick up a package or a letter. This time it had been my turn to pick up three letters. So I walked to the office and waited in the queue. There were only 5 people in front of me but I had to wait 50 minutes until the lady at the counter helped me. I still can’t believe how slow a person can be. The staff at the post offices are everything but consumer oriented. The whole post system is so circuitous. Although, some other employees were working at that time, they didn’t seem to think about opening another counter. This woman even helped one of her colleagues to fill out a form, instead of continuing to serve the customers. I became more and more annoyed. When it was finally my turn, the lady told me that they only hand out packages at this counter and that I had to go to another counter. So 50 minutes for nothing. I went to another building to reach the other counter. But this was apparently the immigration office. After waiting 10 minutes the lady at this counter, however, showed me the way to again another counter. Finally I was able to pick up my letters. Next time I will carefully look whether I have to get packages or letters so this doesn’t happen to me again.

On Friday I went to my Babushka as usual. This time I cleaned her windows and I did the caulking for her windows. I guess I haven’t done that much repair work for ages. After that she prepared lunch and we listened and talked about classical music.

On Sunday I went to Sergiev Pasod with a group of business students from Moscow. The volunteers from Moscow including me got to know these students, because the students meet every Tuesday to drink one or two beers. And we normally join them there. Some girls planned this day trip to Sergiev Pasod, a city 90 minutes outside from Moscow. It’s famous for it’s Lavra, which is something similar to an abbey, just a little bite more impressive (as you can see in the picture at the top). We met really nice people, ate great food, saw beautiful buildings and walked through the Lavra. The weather was amazing and I really enjoyed this trip.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen