Sonntag, 27. September 2009

Beauty, marrying and cheapness

In the last couple of days I noticed how beautiful Kiev is. There are so many lovely and pretty buildings, that I had never expected here. Kiev is, furthermore, known for the wide range of parks in the city. And in every street you can find trees, whose leaves are starting to turn yellow. So Kiev is a very green city indeed. Every sunday, one can walk on Kiev's main street without being hit by a car, because traffic is forbidden at this part of the city. You can see all kind of different people walging around there - punks, rich people, homeless people, a lot of young people and so on. But they are ALL soooooo skinny. It's unbelievable. I feel totally fat in comparison to them. Their thighs are half the size of mine. And the girls walk around very revealing, but I guess this is just normal here.

In the last days I met to guys, which showed me around the city and explained me the history of some of the buildings. I think I'm now even able to find the way back home, without getting lost in some kind of ghetto. Today I've visited the Sophie Cathedral, which is UNESCO world heritage, although I much more loved another church, with turquoise walls and green spires. Very cheesy but very lovely. By the way, everyone is marrying in Kiev: I saw 4 bridal couples on Friday in a park, 5 yesterday at the church and 2 today in another park. I guess this has to do with the pressure from the families and the women to marry as quickly as possible.

What really strikes me are the totally cheap prices here in Kiev. I pay only 25 cents for a 2 litre Bonaqua bottle and only 20 cents for a ride with the bus. Today I had lunch in a Ukranian restaurant and I only paid 4 Euros for 2 meals. And the food turned out to be very delicious. The rents in Kiev, on the other hand are extremely high - 300 Euros for a room is normal, despite the low quality.

I really have luck with my apartment. First of all, it only takes me 20 minutes to my internship place by foot. Second, I only need 25 minutes to the liberation square in the inner city. And third, my flat mates are very nice. I think I wouldn't have survived the first days without them. The American guy is very nice and we were talking a lot and the Ukrainian guy, who was away for the weekend also helped me a lot organising my life here in Kiev.

I already took some nice pictures. So I should find out how to upload them here. Maybe you can see some pictures in my next blog entry.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen