Donnerstag, 24. September 2009

Till has arrived!

Approximately six hours ago I landed in Kiev. I was also allowed to enter the country, although the security people and passport-checkers looked pretty angry and made me feel like a criminal. I had to ask a Russian woman for a pen in Russian (У вас есть корондаш?) to fill out the immigration card. And my luggage arrived - Juhey. However, while leaving the airport, at least 10 Ukrainian men were badgering me and asked me to go with them by taxi. At least that's what I think they said (of course I didn't understand a word except Taxi). Outside, a crowd was waiting for a way to come to the city centre. So I had to ask around (in Russian!!!!!) how I arrive safely at the central station without paying too much money. Some guy directed me to a bus (Автобус), which drove to the station. It turned out that the airport was 40 kilometres(!) away from the inner city. So it took me 50 minutes to arrive there. I was so intelligent not to change my money already at the airport. Therefore, I couldn't pay the busdriver, who was collecting the money on the way to Kiev, because I only had Euros. He got pretty angry and wanted to money immediately. Thanks to one other passenger who changed my Euros into Hrivnas I could pay the price.

Once I left the bus I had to ask again many people how to find the way to the street where I was supposed to live in. By the way, the temperature was freakingly high and I wore a thick coat and I had to carry my backpack and my luggage (which I couldn't roll!). I was running around for 40 minutes asking in my limited Russian language skills for the direction. I was sweating like hell and I just wanted to take a shower.

But it hadn't ended here. I was standing in front of the door, with no name tags and no bells. I tried to call Sasha (my flat mate) on the mobile, but it said that this number doesn't exist. I tried several times and I started panicing. Then a girl wanted to enter the door and I tried to explain her my situation in Russian, but she didn't know Sasha and she also couldn't reach him on the phone.

So I was waiting until another person came. The next person who came was --------> Sascha.

Yes!

He told me that there are two entrances to the apartments and that I was using the wrong one. So I accopanied him to the flat. One has to open 5 key holes and 3 doors to enter the flat. I think the Ukrainians are very attached to security. I could choose a room, because the other flat mate will arrive at 11 o'clock today. He's from America.

What happened to me after my "exciting" arrival in Kiev - you'll find out soon on this site.

1 Kommentar:

  1. Oh my god, I am incredibly glad that you arrived in Kiev without a plane crash, getting murdered or having collapsed because af all the stress.
    Kiev is very new and foreign to you, but don't be unhappy. Please try to give this city a chance. Don't think about me, enjoy your trip!
    The last months you were so excited about all this. Certainly, Kiev is a beautiful place in this world :P
    Besides, I am still thinking that Kiev is not the safest place to live, so please be always careful. :/
    I miss you, dear.
    Goodbye for today.
    Yours,
    Philipp

    AntwortenLöschen